SIGNL4 uses the Freshservice REST API (https://api.freshservice.com/) to read ticket data or linked entities (e.g. retrieving the name of a department a ticket belongs to). Read through the next sections to learn how to create an awesome API key in Freshservice so that you can enter it in the app configuration in setup step 2.
About API keys
API keys in Freshdesk belong to agent user accounts. Each agent can find his/her API key in the personal profile menu. The easiest thing you could do is to use the API key of the Freshdesk account owner. That user has of cause all permissions and thus its API key is suitable for all API actions the connector app uses.
Using such an API key has the advantage of saving an agent license because administrators can add notes to tickets by impersonating other agents. You would then see notes as added by according agents signed in to the SIGNL4 mobile app. The disadvantage may be that you hand out an admin agent key to a 3rd party system. SIGNL4 does no delete operations on the API and saves the Freshservice API key encrypted.
Creating an integration user account first
If you want to create a dedicated integration agent user account specifically for SIGNL4, a nice guide on how to add agents can be found here:
Note: When you create the agent you must use an email address that you have access to because an activation link will be sent to that email address. You may need to register a temporary mailbox in order to accomplish that.
Create a dedicated user role with streamlined permissions
Next, you'll create a new user role in Freshservice specifically for SIGNL4. A great article how this can be done is available here: https://support.freshservice.com/support/solutions/articles/156465-how-to-create-a-new-custom-role-and-why-
- In Freshdesk, simply click on Settings -> Roles
- Add a new role with the name "SIGNL4"
- Enable the following permissions:
- Problems (view permission required to display names of problems linked to a ticket)
- Inventory (view permission required to display names of assets linked to a ticket)
- Contracts (view permission required to display names of contracts linked to a ticket)
- Administration (agent management required for agent assignments to tickets)
Once you have enabled all permissions above, save your new user role.
Assign user role and note API key
Perform these steps to glue agent account and role together and to note your API key:
- Under Admin->User Management->Agents, locate the agent created for SIGNL4
- Open its details and click "Edit Agent"
- Scroll down assign the role "SIGNL4" that you have created in the previous section
- Next, open a fresh browser and login to your Freshservice instance using the agent account you created for SIGNL4.
- Click on your user profile image on the top right and choose "Profile settings"
- Complete the CAPTCHA and make note of the displayed API key, you'll enter it in the Freshservice connector app configuration in setup step 3